What are the perfect conditions to store wine?
We are often asked the questions, what are the perfect conditions to store wine?
The best temperature to store wine is between 45 and 65 degrees Fahrenheit (7 and 18 degrees Celsius), with a target temperature of around 55 degrees Fahrenheit (13 degrees Celsius). This temperature range is important because if wine is stored at too high a temperature, it can age too quickly and spoil, while if it is stored at too low a temperature, it can slow down the aging process and prevent the wine from developing its full flavor.
It’s also important to note that temperature fluctuations can be harmful to wine, so it’s important to store wine in a location that maintains a consistent temperature. Additionally, wine should be stored away from direct sunlight, as UV light can damage the wine and cause it to spoil.
What should your wine cellar be like?
Your wine cellar should ideally be a cool, dark, and humid environment that provides a stable temperature for your wine. Here are some key considerations:
Temperature: As mentioned earlier, the ideal temperature range for storing wine is between 45 and 65 degrees Fahrenheit (7 and 18 degrees Celsius), with a target temperature of around 55 degrees Fahrenheit (13 degrees Celsius). Fluctuations in temperature can be harmful to wine, so aim to maintain a consistent temperature in your cellar.
- Humidity: Wine should be stored in a humid environment to prevent corks from drying out and letting air in, which can spoil the wine. A humidity level of around 70% is ideal.
- Light: Wine should be stored away from direct sunlight, as UV rays can damage the wine and cause it to age prematurely. Your cellar should have minimal light, or be completely dark.
- Ventilation: Your cellar should be well-ventilated to prevent musty smells and mold from developing. Air circulation can also help to maintain a consistent temperature.
- Storage racks: Wine bottles should be stored on their side to keep the cork moist and prevent air from entering the bottle. Invest in sturdy, well-designed wine racks to keep your bottles organized and easily accessible.
- Security: Depending on the value of your wine collection, you may want to consider adding security measures to your cellar, such as a lock or security system.
Overall, the ideal wine cellar should provide a cool, dark, and humid environment that is well-ventilated and provides secure storage for your wine collection.
If you are looking for a great wine to add to your cellar, then consider our IGT wines created on our organic farm in Tuscany’s Maremma.
Born from our vines that are over 50 years old, the location, weather and soil creates incredible wines, full of flavour and full bodied. Our Capricci wine is aged 12 months in the vat, 6 months in oak barrels and 3 months in the bottle, pickup Capricci now, visit our online store