World Olive Tree Day 26th November
World Olive Tree Day 26 November
UNESCO General Conference proclaimed World Olive Tree Day at their 40th session in 2019.
At Tenuta Le Mandorlaie we are lucky enough to be involved with our olive trees every day but many do not know the symbolism, history and many historic events behind the olive tree, a tree that can live for 1000 years or more.
However, many do know about the olive branch and that it symbolizes peace and it is not just as important to countries where these incredible trees noble trees grow, but it is important to many around the world.
What events are organised on World Olive Tree Day
On World Olive Tree Day UNESCO encourages everyone to join in through various activities such as debates, conferences, workshops, cultural events and presentations or exhibitions.
Some thoughts about the olive tree, carbon neutrality, olive growing and olive oil creation;
- Olive growing and the creation of olive oil can be completed in a sustainable economic manner
- Olive trees are a key weapon in the fight against climate change, olive trees have a positive carbon balance and take more CO2 out of the atmosphere than is emitted during olive oil production processes
- Within the new EU Common Agricultural Policy 2023-2027 (PAC) new eco schemes are in place to ensure that Olive trees are protected
- Olive trees are linked to the land and it’s communities, it is a social tree that brings many together to plant, to care for, to prune, to harvest and to enjoy the incredible olive oil products created
- Carbon offsetting using existing olive trees has become a business that supports olive farmers
- Existing Olive trees can be adopted in order to help maintain and manage olive groves and new olive tree adoptions help plant new trees
Top questions about Olive Trees
Planting new olive trees
At Tenuta Le Mandorlaie we plant 130 new olive trees every November, we would like to plant more but they are costly and we offer an adopt and olive tree in Italy program where you can adopt anolive tree for yourself, or it make the perfect present.
Through the planting of new trees we hope that our contribution to the environment and eco systems around us is beneficial, while helping give us an income from the olives they produce, that we use to create our organic IGP extra virgin olive oil Toscana.